Oh Yeah BTW I Moved To China (1 year)

I can’t believe it’s been a whole year! 

Where has the time gone?



March


When I first arrived, I wasn’t sure if this was smartest or dumbest thing I had yet done with my life. At this moment in time, I’m still not quite sure. Actually that is not true. The Chinese language is still a huge barrier for me, and I beat myself up because I haven’t absorbed as much I think I should have. I have the nasty habit of comparing myself to other people who have been here about the same time. But I finally found a decent Chinese teacher and I have signed up for 1.5 hour classes three times a week. So hopefully it will help. Aside from the language issue, I’ve really grown here. 

When I visited home over Chinese New Year, it was of course great to see my parents and old friends, but I am so happy I left. 


A group dinner with the peeps. Thanks for taking the pictures Dad.
Me explaining to Ryan how difficult it is to learn Chinese.
Dear friends, Dan (on the left of me) Bob and Mark on the right.
Fellow friend and artist Raul. I don't recall what his date's name was.
Fellow artist and lady killer Micah and art patron Michelle.
Old school friends! From the left Yvette, her daughter (whose name I can't remember) Laurelin, me, Dave.
Front row Todd and Dave & Laurelin's daughter Olivia.
Me and a baby! His name is Ezra and he burst into tears moments after this was taken.
Dear friend Kari and her daughter Olivia.
My friend Lyn is still crazy as hell. Now she's engaged! Lord help her future husband!
Cake!
I've known Erron and Steve since 2nd grade!
It wasn’t a bad place, as I stated in earlier blog posts, my life in California was good, but I wasn’t content. When I visited, there were some things that had improved, like the WAL Project on R Street. The whole Jeff Koons, Sacramento Kings Arena debacle made the usual boring art scene exciting. I was even quoted in an ArtNet article about the proposed, now approved Koons project. But for the most part, life in my old circles had stayed the same. Had I stayed, I could for see my trajectory, and it wasn’t good. So much about my outlook has changed, in predictable and non-predictable ways. More on that in the future.

My painting has really expanded into a new, exciting direction. I can say in about another 6- 7 months, the tattoo aspect will be completely gone from my work. 
But I still have a few more compositions in mind.
Here are some pictures of my studio here in China with some new work and new friends :)

New works on paper plus some prints.
Biggest painting to date!
I think the title for this will be, "Your heart is in the right place."
Me using my super sales powers...
Collage/sketch.
Lilly an I.
In progress.




St. Patrick’s Day Fun! 



Happy St. Patty's Day from 3-1 :)
Julia seems happy about her crown.
Me giving guidance.
Yeah!
Making the crown.
Who doesn't love gold chocolate coins?
Lucky Shamrock.

King of St. Patty's Day!
Look for the April update in a few weeks.

Comments

Unknown said…
Hey Jeff, I just want to personally tell you that you are a true inspiration. Moving to China is something most people would never do.. The association here needs a face lift..it's all the same and deteriorating for sure so I can understand the need for "different". Sacramento does have a special place in my heart, though. But to take responsibility for ones own direction in life is a rare trait.. I commend you for putting yourself directly into the center of challenges that fire you to grow... My hope for others is that they can have the desire to move ahead and actually do something about it.. We need more people in this world like you 💗 ~Erin

Popular Posts