For All My Oil Painting Nerds

Many of you are oil painters like me and a few of you are so in love with oil painting that you actually enjoy opening tubes of oil to sniff the contents. Yeah it's kind of weird sniffing paint, but the smell of good quality paint is heaven to me. People always ask me why I make paintings the way I do, why I use old master techniques in this day and age.

If you have ever wondered about PVA Size vs. Rabbit Skin Glue, Linen vs. Canvas, Ground vs. Gesso, Modern Manufactured Colors vs. Traditional, Value - How light or dark is your color? Hue - What is your color family: yellow, orange, red, violet, blue or green? Intensity - How much pure color or chroma does your color have? And so forth.

I have looked up the gamblin website and found it to be most useful and helpful not only for questions I still have but for others as well. Whether you paint old school realism or more of an abstract bend, this site can help you to make work that will last the test of time!
Enjoy!

Comments

Sassypants said…
Thank you for this. I still consider myself a rookie to oil painting - having been an acrylic painter for 10 years and switching over to oil 2-3 years ago. I have been looking for a good resource site that is all-encompassing, and this is really helpful!

Popular Posts