June 2017 Unicorn Of The Month: Marianne Bland


Locus: 24" x 24" oil on canvas

I consider myself a modern realist with influences ranging from Hopper to Thiebaud. Everyday moments are beautiful and special, but no one notices because we’re too busy not paying attention to the present- including me. I’m both fascinated and repelled by the dichotomies of humanity, and American society in particular. My hero is the American blue-collar, middle-class dreamer. But I vacillate between seeing that archetype, and the dark side of it all- the fool, the disconnected, the self-disempowered and easily manipulated amongst us. I’m part documentarian of the inevitable fall of the American empire, part industrial romanticist.



Parallel: 40" x 30" oil on canvas
Shelf Life: 36" x 24" oil on canvas

What I love about urban landscapes is that these settings are shared spaces imbued by a collective history, layered with memories of lived experiences. I often wonder what impact a painting can have in a world flooded with images, but my hope is that my work will inspire empathy by reminding us that we impact one another constantly, in ways we don’t even realize.


Underdog: 20" x 16" acrylic on canvas
Vultures, Bootleggers: 16" x 12" acrylic on canvas

A fundamental lack of empathy is at the root of the terrifying madness gripping humanity today…..soooo I’m going to fix it with paint? 

Hooray! ;)


Stardust: 36" x 24" acrylic on canvas


For more of Mariannes' work, check out her Website, Instagram, Linked In, Twitter, and Tumblr.

Comments

Popular Posts