Evidently I'm A Biter

Myspace Hate Mail
And not the good kind of biter! For those of you that are fans of Miami Ink or La Ink or have ever been to the shooting gallery in San Fran will know the work of Shawn Barber. If you don't, google his name and you will be witness to amazing work, both tattoo related and non tattoo related. And those who know me and my latest direction will know I too am exploring the world of tattoo through painting. As I reported here (read below) my most recent self portrait incorporates tattoos of my own design that reflect how angry and uncertain I have been about my life recently. Other tattoo related paintings are in the works as part of a learning process. But Mr. Barber doesn't see it that way...
In a recent email he referred to me as a "biter" and a "lazy, lazy monkey" and asked "what the fuck is wrong with you?"
And just in case Senor Barber ever denies he wrote me, here is a screen capture of the email:


To which my reply was:

Lazy Monkey? Biter? What the fuck is wrong with me? Nice to meet you too.

Number one: Your work is amazing and I give you huge props for your skill level and dedication to the struggle that is painting. 

Number two: I have been a tattoo/Caravaggio/Velasquez/Lucian Freud enthusiast, work-a-holic painter long before I knew who you were. And my recent development was brewing long BEFORE I knew who you were. So we do work that has a similar theme? So fucking what? You mean to tell me that in the entire history of painting in western civilization, no two or three or four artists ever worked with the same subject matter? No one ever painted portraits before you? No one ever incorporated movement, gesture, abstraction, thick paint, primary color palette, realism, and high contrast into their work before you? So no two people EVER in the entire history of humanity ever had the same inspiration at the exact same time? 

Really? 

Although some of our work may look the same, I assure you I am not biting your style. My work does not incorporate movement like yours does and (not including ones by Horiyoshi III I did as practice) is done in real time from straight observation. On top of that, a few of the tattoo works don't really exist in real time. The tattoos reflect issues that a friend or myself (see main profile pic) might be dealing with at the present time. 

So when I finish the paintings I am currently working on where I explore my personal issues and the fact that my grandmother is slowly slipping away due to Alzheimer's, and how I present those issues in tattoo form, I will be sure to entitle it "Made By A Biting Lazy Monkey Who Owes Everything To The Great Shawn Barber."
And here is a screen shot of my response:

Comments

Anonymous said…
Not too cool to post your private emails with this guy on your site. I take it the issue is that you used his tattoos as inspiration and probably co-opted the design. Without another artist's permission, that could seem to be semi-stealing their ideas. You say you are private and act likeyou are humble, but you are sort of sending mixed messages here and your adverts on craiglist. I hope you find this to be thoughtful feedback.
Anonymous said…
Did I find your comment thoughful? Huh? Did you even read what I wrote above? Did you even look at Shawn Barber's Wrok and mine to do a compare and contrast? And what does posting someone's hateful email have to do with being humble? I am just supposed to sit there quietly while someone attacks me and calls me an idea thief? Were you hi/drunk when you posted that comment?
Fazel said…
I liked reading this; I didn't know others' felt like you were impeding on your their territory...made me laugh. You've always taken subjects in various forms [whether depressed, violent, or even dominant] and presented a soft and beautiful result. Your humble and private nature does show in your work. Yes I am familiar with Shawn Barber's work as well; I don't see the edge and acid beauty he uses in your artwork. There is a signifigant difference. So I guess I am left to wonder why he feels threatened? Liked your response Jeff.
Molitorious said…
Don't let this type of stuff get to you man.

Its funny I have seen Shawn's work before and never even associated his paintings with yours. I can see the obvious comparisons in terms of subject matter..but your styles are not even close to being similar.

I know you have been doing these since you where in Chicago..back in early 2000s. If I remember correctly this branched out of your portraits of naked friends holding objects in front of their unmentionables.

I used to get bugged by seeing people doing artwork similar to what I do. Everyone whats to feel so special and unique..but the truth is, if you have thought of it 50 people have already done it before you. The world is one big place.

Just keep doing what you love man.
Unknown said…
Who the f()ck is this douche, and f()ck him! As a deejay for 20 year; I developed my own style, group, approach, technic, selection, music etc... You'll always come up against haters who envy your work, but will try and take credit or turn it around and call you a biter. This little b!tch full of jealousy; hes not happy with his success, and is trying to bring you down. Who cares, keep doing what you're doing; it's beautiful work. This guy is just a hater. -Casual
Anonymous said…
I think you're amazing Jeff!
Hmmm...this is interesting to say the least. I didn't know who Shawn Barber was until about 5 minutes ago when I looked him up. I think it's funny that there is any association between the two of you, aside as using tattoos as the central subject matter. I was thinking on your response and I thought of the following examples in art history: Manet and Monet and Picasso and Braque. Manet and Monet had a period where their work was indistinguishable (hahaha, even their names are similar)and then there is Picasso and Braque during their Cubist period.
So ok, you don't share a studio with Barber but in any case, Barber's work has no resemblance to yours but if it did, is there something really horrible about having a similar idea--ummm, what's that phrase, ah yes, great minds think alike. Why can't two people have similar ideas? It's not like tattoos are taboo anymore, it's not like these images portrayed are controversial or extremely radical--they are all part of the human condition.
Ultimately, why is it that artists attack each other instead of uniting under comradeship? I think that's what is most upsetting in his message. Since he believes you are "biting" his style and IF that were in fact true, as an artist, I would be flattered. But maybe that's just me...
Anonymous said…
okay, now i see the problem. Jeff is a WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better painter than that barber dude. I do not agree with Jeff that Shawn Barber is a good painter. He may have some skill, and I certainly admire his productivity but his paintings are just plain ugly. I don't like the way he handles the paint, leaves things looking sloppy and unfinished- i call that background stuff "atmospheric soup" -unsolid, and his compositions are lame. Jeff is so much better than this guy that there is really nothing to even talk about here. clearly this barber guy is
J-E-A-L-O-U-S!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think Barber's paintings are tacky. That's right, tacky! Go Jeff Go! Oh my gosh, what a pathetic whining baby that barber guy is.
Erin said…
You are giving that guy way too much attention. That's probably what he wants. I was interested, so I looked him up. I wanted to see what he was talking about... all to realize that he wants us to look at his site. Clever! negative...but clever.

Popular Posts