Chicago



I will be leaving for Chicago to participate in Bare Walls 2005 the first weekend in November. On one hand I am excited to be doing some traveling, seeing Joe, Harmony,and Matt; on the other hand I am terrified. I have been practicing as you can see above with the iris, but I still don’t like painting in acrylics, it just doesn’t feel right and it comes out looking like shit. And painting in front of people with the pressure of having the work done in 8 hours in unnerving. For me, painting is a very private solitary act not to be shared with others. The end product and how I get there is viewable, but the process of mixing, scrapping, drawing, mistake correcting, analyzing , thinking, and the frustration is for me alone. It is my therapy, my escape, and the reason I get out of bed in the morning. Or maybe I’m making too much of the whole trip. It will be a great chance to network that is for sure…

Comments

Anonymous said…
ok, this is getting ridiculous now Jeff! You describe the paralyzing fear, as you were emotionally preparing for your Chicago trip, so well. . . . that it describes the feelings I get when I too, have someone watch me sketch. I don't like it - like you, the whole "process" is private and somehow fragile. It doesn't seem meant for public viewing, as you so aptly described. Thanks for sharing your fears with me - I don't feel like such a "freak-show" now !!! What a concept...I'm not alone - others share similar feelings (duh Rebecca!!!)
Anonymous said…
WReally love your work. Especially your Grandmother.
such wonderful detail in the hands. Keep up the good work. Your work has such diversity, such a wild spectrum of
Anonymous said…
Out of curiosity: E. Pilsen's painting looks like was vertically laid when work was still in process, why did it change to horizontal in the end?

Popular Posts