Basically, I'm A Mess


:(

I don't really have much to report, other than extreme anxiety, self-doubt, and with, a less than stellar attendance of a recent group show, extreme frustration about what I’m doing with my life. I have been at a dead end with my paintings for quite some time; the tattoo thing is over for me. Although I still find it an interesting source of inspiration, it's not working with what I want to say. If I keep going down this path of fetishizing the tattoo, I will have to become a tattoo artist. If I don't become full integrated into the tattoo world, I'm just a fan boy making fan boy art. 


Even though I love and respect the medium, it's not where I want to go. After a time, technical painting is just showing off, an exercise in "Look at what I can do with paint," sort of thing. And quite frankly, no one in the contemporary art world is going to take me seriously if all I am is a solid technical painter. 

So I have been trying to figure out what I'm supposed to with my work, how I'm supposed to express all the anger and fear I have; but it has been very difficult for me. I don't know how other artists feel, but I constantly compare myself to other artists my age, whether they are close friends like Rogelio Manzo, or Josh Fernandez, or artist I don't know personally know like Kehinde Wiley or Kristin Baker. I often feel like I should be more accomplished, that I should be smart like them, and more importantly, that I should have figured it out by now. In addition to that, and this is something I’m somewhat ashamed to admit because it's such a cliché, stupid reason to be doubtful of one's work and purpose, but a relationship I was involved in, ended in July.

"Really Musser… you’re upset over a girl? Dude it's almost Christmas, didn't you just say you broke up in July?" I know, again I feel stupid for admitting that, it’s something we all go through, but I wasn’t prepared for it at all, both falling for her and the relationship ending. And the holidays only make my loneliness worse. It's yet another year I don't have someone special to attend parties with, or bring to Christmas dinner at my parents house. The reality is, relationships work out or they don't. I know this. But it doesn't make it any easy to deal with. Combine that with my lack of artistic direction; it equals me being a goddamn mess! But recently Rogelio Manzo, look for his interview coming soon, told me “If there is something missing in your work, the only to find out what’s missing is to work through it. It’s in the work itself, you just have to find it.”

So that’s the plan kids. I don’t know where I’m quite going with the work, but I do know that in about 6-12 months that tattoo with be completely gone from my work. 

Any artist have doubts about their process and would care to share?

Comments

Mariko Siegert said…
I'm no artist, just somebody with an artistic mind, so I have very little to offer to help you with your concerns about your artistic direction, or pursuits.

I want you to know, however, that you've already accomplished what most people can't and haven't. I understand other contemporary artists may look more 'successful' but as they say, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Try not to compare yourself or where you stand in your life as an artist to others. Try to think about what you've done so far.

The fear and doubts you have are very hard for me to imagine and understand. Our lives are really different. But I know what it feels like to not be able to trust in self. It's frustrating and scary. It feels like the sun will never rise again (at least, that how it feels like to me). But we all know it will.

Keep the faith in yourself. You will figure it all out just fine.
Joe said…
I've found that if you stick to what works, you are committing artistic suicide. People change as does our art, not all change is good but who cares, it's a process. I said "fuck it" and made my 'squares', they failed majorly, a good 25k spent, all my savings, then later, no sale, family in tow. Still in recovery. Failure? No. They help me to realize my direction, they helped me to transition to the next "fuck it" works, good works. Have they sold? not yet, don't care much. Well maybe a little. But we move on...

Like I said, it's a process, go with your heart, keep the work honest, try something new. Who knows? You may discover a direction you never thought plausible. Don't treat the work like a precious piece of perfection, let go of that ("it's just masturbation" Don Southard). Make the work that is easy, then move on to making it make sense. Start with what really matters, personally, show it or don't, but let it inform what comes next. You may be surprised, or disgusted, but who cares, it will be you.

forever your friend (you should call fucker)
Lana said…
I'm an artist. It's definitely a hard lot, because you don't get a pass, ever, to stop being creative. It's not like you're like, hey, I'm here, I've arrived, I can stop now. And there's no path to follow, no one to tell you: look, this is where you go. You find your own way, and that's really beautiful and liberating, and equally terrifying. But it's worthwhile, because you're free. And especially for me, I honestly don't think I can actually do anything else. I'm stuck with making art because it's the only way I feel like I am being who I am meant to be.
It sounds like you're strong on technique and short on ideas. Try to relax. My best ideas come when I just sit back and think. Trolling the net, keeping a journal, looking through old work, it often brings on a host of ideas to work on. I also get really inspired by other artists, looking at their work and having reactions to it, and working with others, through collaborations or just sharing creative space.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck.
Anonymous said…
I feel that way all the time, although I have the opposite problem. I have a lot of creativity and a lot to say, but have very little technical training, and feel lacking. Because of that, my work is all over the place. To top it all off, I am pretty introverted and have a hard time talking to strangers, the key to making sales. Luckily, every once and a while, something happens in a new piece that seems to show a surge of growth. And sometimes, every once and a while a friend or critic will say just exactly the right thing to keep me going... not that I could quit even if I wanted to. Art is in the soul, it's life. And it's ABOUT life. If you're upset over a girl, USE it, there is no more powerful tool than life, especially pain. A musician friend told me once that being happy in a relationship was detrimental to his craft. No one wants to be unhappy, but while its there, you'd better use it, before its gone. I just got some pretty interesting work out of my recent break up, which became the catalyst for booking a new show, and some other great opportunities. Life is funny that way, making lemons into lemonade whether you like it or not.
Jeff, I constantly doubt my work. One of the things I've realized is that I need to be grateful for the questions that keep propelling me forward. I've also accepted the possibility of never being a "successful" artist. It's quite liberating because I can paint whatever the hell I want to. But painting is not my primary source of income. I really admire you and your work. You work harder than anyone I know and it is inevitable that you will succeed. I think this period of doubt is just the next step for you. I can't wait to see what comes next!!! Also, nothing is wrong with being technically good at painting. You have a mastery that most artists don't have and I know you will figure out how to use that to propell your work forward.
Love you,
Jacob
Kim Scott said…
So so so many artists feel like you do, or have felt that way in the past. MOST artists never reach that 2 percent that are the art stars. I am one of the 98% as well. I however do recognize that I have gotten farther than most artists, just as you have. I am not dead yet. I still create. I still question what I make and how I make it. My advice (being almost twice as old as you are) Keep looking for adventure and purpose, and keep painting. Maybe a 100 pieces exploring color, or form, or content or ? I did this at a low spot in my career, and I really got a new lease on life from it. How many artists have two chances at "making it" or getting through culturally? I guess, really all of us do if we go there. Set yourself 5 goals, mix personal and artistic in there, and set out on the journey to get there... and dont forget to enjoy the" going there part, because that is you life after all. Read Hero with a thousand faces" and take a lesson. Nuff said. Give me a visit if you would like.
Jeff said…
Thanks people. I know you're right, I just need to stop being scarred and do it.
Joy said…
Read, look to your environment for inspiration, take a class, attend a lecture, go on a trip.... just keep on painting...
You can express how you feel about the world by the subject matter you choose and/or the way you depict that subject.
I'm back woods narrative so my family, the art world, current events, and art history references all make their way into my paintings.

Popular Posts