September 2016 Unicorn Of The Month: Wanda Raimundi-Ortiz




The work I make isn’t exactly for everyone. Or maybe it is. Maybe it’s just the idea that the “everyone” that I’m talking about is not the “everyone” that is counted as important. Maybe its because I’ve made work about the folks we don’t see… the chambermaids in hotels or the inner city mother of three that is thrown in a tizzy because she can’t seem to get a cab for her and her kids.

A shot from the "Porcela Reina, Queen Series" Performance.
A shot from the "Porcela Reina, Queen Series" Performance.

I have built my artistic career by creating works that investigate notions of otherness as a Latina in the US. Starting from personal experiences, I set out to dissect aspects of my heritage from varying points of entry- from within my own family, home, neighborhood, intersecting Latino cultures. These investigations in turn, became larger studies on otherness as a whole in American culture. 

In regard to her Queen Series she says,
"Each royal archetype is created as a physical manifestation of specific personal anxieties. Through their creation I aim to untangle the complexities of these fears, attempt to understand why I have them, and why I've come to revere them."
Bargain Basement Sovereign.
Bargain Basement Sovereign #3.
"This is My Crown" India Ink on Latex.



Video Performance: "Bargain Basement Sovereign (Queen Series)"

Wanda Raimundi-Ortiz is also a teacher at University of Central Florida in Orlando. More of Wanda's work can be seen on her Website, Instagram, Facebook, and her Youtube Channel.

Comments

Popular Posts